What is regeneration?
Some people think that regeneration is simply about building new homes where they’re needed and then removing the old worn-out ones. But there’s much more to it. Regeneration isn’t just about bricks and mortar. It’s about making positive and long lasting changes that will improve the lives of the people and families of Milton Keynes.
YourMK are doing this, not only by improving homes and neighbourhoods, but also by providing opportunities for people to get jobs and training through our job clubs, and by encouraging and supporting the involvement of local people and groups in their community. Regeneration is about people and opportunities as well as building and maintaining their homes.
Today. Tomorrow. Together
YourMK is committed to delivering regeneration together with communities. We want residents to work with us to shape the future of where they live. To do this, we will spend at least a year developing a vision and plan for each area, with the residents who live there. This is called a masterplan.
There are 3 steps to this, and at each step we need residents to help us.
- Used data collected to help inform where we need to work.
- Spoken to national experts about what they can offer. These include, architects, masterplanners, resident engagement experts and Resident Advisors.
- Learnt best practice from national guidance and from speaking to other regeneration programmes.
- Speak to residents about how they want to be involved and how they want to be communicated with.
- Work with other residents to form community groups and run community projects – YourMK will support this.
- Help us to share up to date information and address rumours by becoming a community communicators.
- Tell us how they want us to work with them.
- Have detailed policy documents for residents, explaining the process for all tenures, including CPO.
- Set up meetings, workshops and events that are accessible to everyone.
- Provide nationally recognised training on the stages of regeneration to enable residents to play an active part in the development of their master plan.
- Fund an Independent Resident Advisor (IRA) to provide independent advice to residents on housing policy including CPO and other issues. Residents will be able to select the IRA themselves from a shortlist of best practice organisations.
- Speak to every resident in the area via meetings, workshops, events, and one to one surgeries etc.
- Help us to set up accessible and useful meetings, workshops and events to make sure everyone can attend.
- Help us share information with friends and neighbours so that everyone knows when the events are being held and how they can be involved.
- Be involved in selecting some of the experts that will work directly with them.
- Tell us what is important to them and help us create a vision and plan for their area.
- Work directly with the masterplanners and architects – become part of the team.
This will happen in the following areas at the following times:
- Fullers Slade: from July 2017.
- Lakes Estate: from late 2017.
- North Bradville: from early 2018.
- Woughton from 2020.
- Put the plan into action.
- Keep residents updated with this information and timescales.
- Help us to share up to date information with their friends and neighbours.
- Work with us to make sure you get the right choices for you.
If you have any concerns or questions about the regeneration of your neighbourhood, please call us on 01908 991 570 option 3 or to have a chat with our Community Team who are out and about working in the community all through the week . We are happy to talk things through with you.
You may find the answer in our FAQs, where there is a range of questions that have been asked already.